Another reason to love summer in San Diego!
If you and your kiddos love movies but don’t want to be stuck inside an air-conditioned movie theater, check out Summer Movies in the Park! Gather your family and friends, pack a picnic, grab some blankets or beach chairs, and catch a movie under the stars. And the best part: it’s FREE!
The Summer Movies in the Park series has partnered with local parks throughout San Diego County to offer free family-friendly movies every Friday and Saturday night from late-May through mid-September. Dylan and I look forward to these events almost every week and we already have our calendar marked for several more this summer!
Most events start between 6:00-6:30 pm, but the movie won’t start playing until it’s dark (around 7:30-8:00 pm). Get there early to get good seats and take advantage of free goodies from the sponsors and activities going on at the park.
Dylan has scored a free beach ball, bubbles, a frisbee, and a coloring book and crayons. I’ve enjoyed free Kind bars, a tote bag, reusable water bottle, and coupons for local businesses!
- Blankets- to lay on and to cover up with if it gets cold.
- Chairs (optional)- most people bring the lower-style beach chairs so as not to obstruct the view of others behind you.
- Sweatshirts for everyone (it gets chilly after the sun goes down).
- Food & Drinks- we usually bring subs from Jersey Mike’s (Dylan’s fave!), chips or popcorn, cookies or Twizzlers, bottled water, etc. We went to the one at Waterfront Park in Little Italy and brought a pizza! And I may have snuck in a bottle of wine and some red Solo cups, but you didn’t hear that from me! 😉 *Some events have food trucks or concessions available for purchase, but check info online to be sure.
- Outdoor games, a soccer ball, or a deck of cards in case your little ones get antsy before the movie starts.
Check out the full schedule of movies on their website: Summer Movies in the Park
There are several showings each and every Friday and Saturday night at various locations throughout San Diego, so there’s sure to be one near you!
Enjoy the show!